Cumhur (Jim) Gökova was born on 15 July 1950 and is Turkish, Canadian and Abkhazian citizen. In spite of the fact that Cumhur’s ancestors came from Caucasus, he is in love with the sea. He is eager to share his knowledge with everyone who is fond of the sea and is dreaming to take the wheel and start his or her own sea journey. During his sports and training career Cumhur Gökova has prepared hundreds of instructors for IYT and helped them to open sailing schools all over the world.
Jim (Cumhur) Gökova’s achievements:
- First Turk who sailed from Turkey to Russia (St. Petersburg (Leningrad then)) and North Pole (Spitsbergen)
- First Turk who crossed the Sahara by car
- Second Turk who sailed around the World
- First Turk who sailed around the World 2.5 times
- First sailing instructor who got the award from Turkish Olympic Committee
- Trainer of the first Turkish women sailing team that won the second prize in the annual Atlantic Rally for Cruisers 2005
- First women sailing instructors were certified by him
- Founder of First RYA (Royal Yachting Association), CYA (Canadian Yachting Association), IYT (International Yacht Training) schools
- First Canadian citizen who opened CYA (Canadian Yachting Association) school outside Canada
- One of the world – renowned regatta Marmaris Race Week organizers. Since 1976 to 2012 Jim Gökova has trained 7490 skippers and 98 sailing instructors from all over the world. In 2011 he initiated the reopening of ISS (International Sailing School) in Vancouver (Canada) and Marmaris (Turkey) silmaster.org
￼From 10 October 2010 to 10 April 2012 Cumhur and his wife Mayisarat were on a round-the-world voyage on board 40-foot yacht GÖKOVA. During the trip Cumhur wrote the book called “Sailing Around the World With Friends”, and Mayisa is now writing the book called “First Caucasian Woman Who Sailed Around the World”.
- First Marmaris Race week 1989 – a sure winner
- Marmaris Israel Xmas Regatta 2004 – 1st place
- Gochek regatta 2004 – 1st place
- Rhodes Cup 2005 – 1st place
- Turgut Reis Cup 2005 – 2nd place
- Turgut Reis Cup 2005 – 1st place
- Bodrum Cup 2005 – 3rd place
- Marmaris Race Week 2006 – a sure winner
- Atlantic Rally of Cruisers 2005 racing division 2005 – 2nd place
- Marmaris Race Week 2007 – a sure winner
- Israel-Finike Xmas Regatta 2010 – 1st place.
Cumhur`s father (a school teacher) Ihsak and mother Hikmet are both Abkhazian. When Cumhur was 29 he got married to an Abkhazian girl Güler who was 19. They lived in Canada. They traveled by car across Canada, the USA and Europe. Their marriage lasted for 25 years, they have two sons — Atilla and Togla. Both of them are sailing instructors. Atilla teaches racing in his 45 foot racing boat in Bodrum and Marmaris (Turkey). Togla teaches sailing in Vancouver (Canada).
At the age of 59 Cumhur got married again to a Caucasian girl Mayisa who was 29, they have a son Muhammed. Most of the time Cumhur and Mayisa live in Marmaris (Turkey) and train those who want to acquire sailing skills. They are teaching at the ISS (International Sailing School) that operates since 1987.
Tel.: + 44 787 222 36 38